July 23, 2017
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are
being transformed to live like Jesus”
Sunday Worship Service
Service Leader: Deb Loewen
Worship Team: Corey Hildebrand, Steve Peters, Steve Dueck, Lindsay Loewen
Scripture: Zephaniah 2:3, 3:14-17
Message: “What’s on your playlist?”
July 30 10:00am Coffee / Gathering Time
10:15am Worship Service
August 8 6:00pm Young Families BBQ at Corey & Stephanie Hildebrand’s
August 13 10:00am Harvest Festival Community Worship Service
Picnic Potluck – Today, instead of our typical monthly potluck, we will have an informal picnic outside following the worship service. As there will be no host in place, please bring everything you would need for a picnic (napkins, cups, dishes, utensils, drinks, lawn chairs, etc) and we will meet outside at the picnic shelter. In case of rain we will set up in the fellowship hall.
Each summer, the students in our Church have taken on the challenge of doing the parking for the Harvest Festival as a fundraiser. This year, in addition to students and parents helping out, we’re looking for some extra help making this weekend happen. If you have 3-4 hours to spare over the course of the weekend of August 11th – 13th, please talk to Pastor Corey or Kaitlyn Loewen and we’ll get you signed up!
Anyone interested in making a donation to the Pauingassi missions trip (Aug. 10 – 17) can make cheques payable to Athletes in Action. Please give the cheques to one of the team members or mail it to: Albert Martens 408 2nd street, Steinbach Mb. R5G 0V5. Also, anyone wishing to help out with food, donations or craft supplies, or sports equipment can contact the team members.
GPS leaders and helpers needed: Each Sunday, GPS is led by a group of leaders and helpers who have prepared a lesson for Emmanuel’s children ages 3 to grade 8. The Formation Committee is looking for more volunteers who love the children of our church and want to be an important part of helping them grow in their faith. If you are interested in volunteering to be a GPS leader or helper, please contact Winnie Fehr or Jenn Siemens
Service Opportunity: We are again looking to add more childcare workers to the roster for this coming September. If you enjoy spending time with toddlers, and would be willing to give about half an hour of your time, 5 or 6 times a year, this service opportunity is for you! Please contact the office if you’d be willing to help out in this way.
Are you planning on attending CMU this fall? CMU offers a church matching grant which matches any funds received from the church up to $500/year. Applications can be submitted starting June 1. Contact the church office for more information. Emmanuel also offers bursaries to students attending other approved Bible schools. Forms can be downloaded from our website.
Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) receiving financial donations for forest fires in British Columbia. People in BC have already lost houses to the fires and we are planning for MDS volunteers to help in the recovery phase of this disaster. MDS is accepting financial donations for that recovery. For further updates on the MDS response and financial donations go to https://mds.mennonite.net/ or call the MDS office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the October 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Winnipeg: http://www.cvent.com/d/c5q8ft
- In response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s call to adopt and comply with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Mennonite Church Canada has recently created a beautiful book of poetry and prayer reflecting on each article of the Declaration. Borrow or purchase from CommonWord – www.commonword.ca/go/1211
- Volunteers needed! Mennonite Church Canada is seeking volunteers for the 2017 Special Delegate Gathering held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Interested potential volunteers please email email@example.com. For more information on this gathering, visit http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
- Team Captains wanted! Get your feet tuned up to walk or ride in the fantastically fun national Ride for Refuge on Saturday, Sept. 30 in several locations across Canada. The Ride for Refuge is a family-friendly cycling/walking fundraiser that partners with MC Canada to help the displaced, vulnerable and exploited. Be a part of the “Mennonite Church Canada” team in support of the Witness workers of your choice. Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (226) 747-1833.
- Camp Moose Lake is sold. Visit the MCM website at www.mennochurch.mb.ca for the news release. A celebration is being planned at the camp on September 24, 2017. More details will follow.
- Camps with Meaning is seeking kitchen volunteers for August 7-12 and August 20-25 at Camp Moose Lake. Please email email@example.com or call (204) 895-2267 if you are interested.
- Mennonite Church Manitoba is accepting applications for the position of Associate Program Director of Camping Ministries (APD). The APD oversees all aspects of our summer and winter programs and provides on-going support and training to all summer program staff and volunteers. This is a 1.0 fte position. The application deadline is September 21, 2017. For more information please visit our “News” page at www.campswithmeaning.org.
- Kanadiertreffen – Join us on August 20 in Winkler’s Bethel Park for a gathering of Low German speaking Mennonites emigrating from Latin America. For more information visit http://mccmb.ca/kanadiertreffen and save the date!
You’re invited to the Grow Hope Harvest Celebration! Sunday, August 27, 4:00-6:00 pm. As a Grow Hope partner, we want to invite you to join us for a special harvest celebration at the farm. Join us for supper, see the field where your acre will soon be harvested, and celebrate with us as we thank God for the crops and ask for blessing on the harvest. If you plan to attend, please let us know by August 18. You can RSVP on our website at http://mcccanada.ca/forms/grow-hope-harvest-celebration or call our office to speak with Nikki, 204-261-6381.
“Building for Tomorrow” Fundraising Dinner – Salem Foundation and Ladies Auxiliary will host the “Building for Tomorrow” Fundraising Dinner on Thursday, November 2 at the Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church. Doors will open at 6 pm; with Dinner at 6:30 pm. Cost is $100 per person (with a $50 tax receipt); or a table for eight can be purchased for $800 (with a $400 tax receipt). Proceeds will be used for a new Cottonwood East Dining Room. The event will feature guest speaker, Marie Monville, author of “One Light Still Shines: My Life Beyond the Shadow of the Amish Schoolhouse Shooting.” “When all other lights go out, He still shines!” This became the anthem to Marie’s life when on October 2, 2006, her then husband made a decision to hold an Amish school house hostage, forever changing life as she knew it. This is Marie’s testimony, forged while moving through unthinkable circumstances, into the unfathomable love of the Father. In the years since, God continues to unfold his beautiful plan of redemption and restoration over her family.
15th Annual Head for the Hills bike event on Saturday, September 9th, 2017. Ride your bike 36kms of the Pembina escarpment in support of mental health recovery and celebrating Eden Health Care Services 50th Anniversary. The $25 registration fee includes full ride support , t-shirt, Barbeque lunch, prizes and an opportunity to win 1 of 3 bikes. Register on-line at www.edenhealthcare.ca or at the office, 309 Main Street, Winkler. A cyclist manual is also available on-line.