July 30, 2017
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are
being transformed to live like Jesus”
Sunday Worship Service
Service Leader: Tash Olfert
Worship Team: Come Away
Scripture: Isaiah 49:13-18
Message: “God Has Tattoos”
Pastor John Klassen
Mon (31) 6:30pm Missions Committee meeting
Tues (1) 4:00pm Ministerial meeting
August 6 10:00am Coffee / Gathering Time
10:15am Worship Service
August 8 6:00pm Young Families BBQ at Corey & Stephanie Hildebrand’s
August 13 10:00am Harvest Festival Community Worship Service
Each summer, the students in our Church have taken on the challenge of doing the parking for the Harvest Festival as a fundraiser. This year, in addition to students and parents helping out, we’re looking for some extra help making this weekend happen. If you have 3-4 hours to spare over the course of the weekend of August 11th – 13th, please talk to Pastor Corey or Kaitlyn Loewen and we’ll get you signed up!
Please pray for the team of people (Linda Blatz, Katrina Woelk, Stephanie Fehr, Tanya Fehr, Walter and Winnie Fehr, Abby Janzen and Albert Martens) who are planning for the children’s camp and community outreach in Pauingassi First Nation on August 10 -17. The team is looking forward to reconnecting with the people of Pauingassi. It will be a week filled with many hours of activities, preparing community meals and building relationships with the children and adults. Pray that the team will be blessed with energy, strength, health, safety and many opportunities to share God’s love. Thank you to people who have made donations to help cover the expenses of this mission trip to Pauingassi and to the people who have volunteered to make cookies for the Pauingassi events.
Service Opportunity: We are again looking to add more childcare workers to the roster for this coming September. If you enjoy spending time with toddlers, and would be willing to give about half an hour of your time, 5 or 6 times a year, this service opportunity is for you! Please contact the office to sign up!
Bursaries – If you are attending a Christian high school or post secondary school this year, the church offers bursaries of up to $500. Applications are available on our website or by contacting the office. Application deadline is August 31.
Mennonite Disaster Service (MDS) receiving financial donations for forest fires in British Columbia. People in BC have already lost houses to the fires and we are planning for MDS volunteers to help in the recovery phase of this disaster. MDS is accepting financial donations for that recovery. For further updates on the MDS response and financial donations go to https://mds.mennonite.net/ or call the MDS office at 1-866-261-1274.
- Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the October 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Winnipeg: http://www.cvent.com/d/c5q8ft
- In response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s call to adopt and comply with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Mennonite Church Canada has recently created a beautiful book of poetry and prayer reflecting on each article of the Declaration. Borrow or purchase from CommonWord – www.commonword.ca/go/1211
- Volunteers needed! Mennonite Church Canada is seeking volunteers for the 2017 Special Delegate Gathering held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Interested potential volunteers please email email@example.com. For more information on this gathering, visit http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
- There are at least 10 great reasons to become a Ride for Refuge Team Captain on Saturday, Sept. 30. “Like” the Mennonite Church Canada Facebook page to find out why this family-friendly cycling/walking fundraiser is a fun way to do good in support of displaced, vulnerable and exploited people served by MC Canada Witness. Register at https://rideforrefuge.org/charity/mennonitechurchca or contact Jason Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (226) 747-1833.
- Featured prayer request from the wider church (to receive regular prayer requests, subscribe to PrayerNet at: commonword.ca/ResourceView/59/7507): We invite your prayers for all affected by the wildfires raging on in BC: the people who have been displaced and those who are at risk of being displaced, including First Nations communities; the firefighters, policemen, military and health professionals who are battling the fires and the aftermath; those who are welcoming displaced people into their homes and communities—particularly MCBC congregations who may be affected and/or called upon to help; leaders who are orchestrating responses and planning for recovery; and those who are affected by smoke. Pray that God’s grace will be abundant and overflowing in the midst of this disaster. May needs be met and sufficient energy for the work at hand be found.
- Mennonite Church Manitoba is accepting applications for the position of Associate Program Director of Camping Ministries (APD). The APD oversees all aspects of our summer and winter programs and provides on-going support and training to all summer program staff and volunteers. This is a 1.0 fte position. The application deadline is September 21, 2017. For more information please visit our “News” page at www.campswithmeaning.org.
- Camps with Meaning is in significant need of two volunteer health officers the week of August 20-25 at Camp Assiniboia and Camp Moose Lake. Please email email@example.com or call (204) 895-2267 if you are able to help.
- Kanadiertreffen – Join us on August 20 in Winkler’s Bethel Park for a gathering of Low German speaking Mennonites emigrating from Latin America. For more information visit http://mccmb.ca/kanadiertreffen and save the date!
- CMU is committed to build relationships, and to walk alongside and learn with Indigenous peoples. In the spring of this year, Erin Froese, who is entering her fourth year in Environmental Studies at CMU, took the opportunity to be part of an independent study course in which she focused on supporting a 600 kilometre walk from Kitchener, ON, to Ottawa in response to Call to Action #48 of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission—a call for churches to engage in public dialogue and action surrounding the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. Read more about Erin’s story at mycmulife.cmu.ca.
An MDS Update is posted on the north bulletin board in the foyer.
Holy Spirit Encounter (Sept 15-17) Holy Spirit Encounter is a weekend being hosted at the Winkler MB Church that is designed to give focused time in going deeper with God and to access the power that He has promised. Visit c2cnetwork.ca/event/hse or call 604-746-2238 to register ($50 reg. cost)
You’re invited to the Grow Hope Harvest Celebration! Sunday, August 27, 4:00-6:00 pm. As a Grow Hope partner, we want to invite you to join us for a special harvest celebration at the farm. Join us for supper, see the field where your acre will soon be harvested, and celebrate with us as we thank God for the crops and ask for blessing on the harvest. If you plan to attend, please let us know by August 18. You can RSVP on our website at http://mcccanada.ca/forms/grow-hope-harvest-celebration or call our office to speak with Nikki, 204-261-6381.
15th Annual Head for the Hills bike event on Saturday, September 9th, 2017. Ride your bike 36kms of the Pembina escarpment in support of mental health recovery and celebrating Eden Health Care Services 50th Anniversary. The $25 registration fee includes full ride support , t-shirt, Barbeque lunch, prizes and an opportunity to win 1 of 3 bikes. Register on-line at www.edenhealthcare.ca or at the office, 309 Main Street, Winkler. A cyclist manual is also available on-line.