August 20, 2017
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are
being transformed to live like Jesus”
Sunday Worship Service
Service Leader: Darlene Goertzen
Worship Team: Shalom
Scripture: Proverbs 3:1-6
Message: “…And God Will Direct Your Paths”
Pastor John Klassen
Mon (21) Office Closed due to Staff Holidays
Tues (22) 7:00pm Church Council meeting
August 27 10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service
September 10 Church Kick Off!
An opportunity for baptism on Thanksgiving Sunday – If you’ve been considering baptism and church membership at Emmanuel, I’d like to tell you about an opportunity. Several persons have expressed interest in baptism and we’ll have a Baptism Service at Emmanuel on Sunday October 8 (Thanksgiving morning). In preparation for this, I am planning to offer a one Saturday morning or two weeknight evening faith conversation class for those being baptized; it will take place either in late August or early September. If you have been considering baptism and waiting to be part of a group experience, we’d love to include you in this baptism / membership service. But please be in touch with Pastor John within a week if at all possible. Even if you have questions before deciding this is something you might want to do, please be in touch with Pastor John. Baptism offers an opportunity to make a public declaration of faith, to celebrate your decision to follow Jesus, and to invite the church family to walk with you in your journey of faith!
Family Ministry Update: This fall, Emmanuel will begin using a strategy for Family Ministry called Orange. Orange is simple. It starts with two individual influences in a child’s life: Home and Church. Alone, these two work hard to ensure that each child has a better future. But when they’re combined, the home and the church will have a much greater impact! That is Orange and it kicks off on Sunday September 10th!
- First Look is designed lovingly and expertly for preschoolers. First Look is passionate about making sure that preschoolers know THREE truths before Kindergarten: GOD MADE ME, GOD LOVES ME, JESUS WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND FOREVER. Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel Firstlook or follow us on instagram @emmanuelfirstlook
- 252 Kids is designed to provoke discovery and invite kids into a new understanding of how to grow in relationship with Jesus. Everything we teach in 252 Kids is based on one of three basic, but powerful, truths modeled by Jesus in Luke 2:52. I NEED TO MAKE THE WISE CHOICE, I CAN TRUST GOD NO MATTER WHAT, I SHOULD TREAT OTHERS THE WAY I WANT TO BE TREATED. Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel 252basics or follow us on Instagram @emmanuel252basics
- Emmanuel Students is a place for both Jr and Sr High students to experience Wonder, Discovery and Passion! Focused around the 3 core values of Integration (believing that students are a huge part of everything that the Church does). Small Groups (growing smaller = tighter relationships) and Passion (Faith has to be lived out with passion, drive and focus) we live to inspire and equip a generation of passionate students to change the world and revive the Church. We meet Sunday evenings at 7 beginning September 10th. Follow us on Instagram @emmanuelchurchstudents or on twitter @emmanuel_xp3
Bursaries – If you are attending a Christian high school or post secondary school this year, the church offers bursaries of up to $500. Applications are available on our website or by contacting the office. Application deadline is August 31.
GPS leaders and helpers needed: Each Sunday, GPS is led by a group of leaders and helpers who have prepared a lesson for Emmanuel’s children ages 3 to grade 8. The Formation Committee is looking for more volunteers who love the children of our church and want to be an important part of helping them grow in their faith. If you are interested in volunteering to be a GPS leader or helper, please contact Winnie Fehr or Jenn Siemens.
ATTENTION STUDENTS: Make 2017/18 the best year of your high school career. MCI offers exceptional opportunities in athletics and the arts. Low staff-student ratios will help you excel academically. Daily chapels and faith infused community will help you grow spiritually. Live in Res or commute. Available bursaries will make MCI affordable for you. Want to hear more? Visit www.mciblues.net or call 204-327-5891.
An MDS Update is posted on the north bulletin board in the foyer.
- Assembly Registration is open! You are invited to register for the October 13-15 special 2017 Assembly in Winnipeg: http://www.cvent.com/d/c5q8ft
- Volunteers needed! Mennonite Church Canada is seeking volunteers for the 2017 Special Delegate Gathering held in Winnipeg from October 13-15. Interested potential volunteers please email email@example.com. For more information on this gathering, visit http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/winnipeg2017.
- Mennonite Church Manitoba is accepting applications for the position of Associate Program Director of Camping Ministries (APD). The APD oversees all aspects of our summer and winter programs and provides on-going support and training to all summer program staff and volunteers. This is a 1.0 fte position. The application deadline is September 21, 2017. For more information please visit our “News” page at www.campswithmeaning.org.
- Grow Hope Harvest Celebration – Grow Hope sponsors are invited to join us for a special harvest celebration at Artel Farms on Sunday, August 27, 4-6 pm. Come for supper, see the field where your acre is growing and hear from Vurayayi Pugeni, MCC humanitarian relief coordinator, about how Grow Hope will make a difference. For more information and to RSVP, visit http://mccmb.ca/grow-hope-harvest-celebration or call 204-261-6381 to speak with Nikki.
- Kanadiertreffen August 20, 2017, 2:30 pm, Bethel Heritage Park, Winkler Join us today for a gathering of Low German speaking Mennonites emigrating from Latin America. The event will include guest speaker Hein Rempel, music by Esteban Peters and children’s activities. Bring something to share for the potluck faspa, come and knack some zöt with us!
- MCC Manitoba Student Awards – Apply by September 30 if you’re interested in work that aligns with MCC’s areas of focus (like peace, restorative justice, human rights, servant leadership and sustainable development). For more information and to apply, visit http://mccmb.ca/studentawards
Holy Spirit Encounter (Sept 15-17) Holy Spirit Encounter is a weekend being hosted at the Winkler MB Church that is designed to give focused time in going deeper with God and to access the power that He has promised. Visit c2cnetwork.ca/event/hse or call 604-746-2238 to register ($50 reg. cost)
15th Annual Head for the Hills bike event on Saturday, September 9th, 2017. Ride your bike 36kms of the Pembina escarpment in support of mental health recovery and celebrating Eden Health Care Services 50th Anniversary. The $25 registration fee includes full ride support , t-shirt, Barbeque lunch, prizes and an opportunity to win 1 of 3 bikes. Register on-line at www.edenhealthcare.ca or at the office, 309 Main Street, Winkler. A cyclist manual is also available on-line.
The Winkler & District Handivan is READY! Our service begins August 14th. We will begin booking rides from August 15th. For all mobility disadvantaged persons defined as follows: Any individual who because of injury, age, or other permanent or temporary disability is unable to utilize other conventional available transportation. For service please call (204)362-9252. 24 Hour advance notice required. Leave name, phone number and request on voice mail and your booking will be confirmed by the end of the next business day. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Rates will be confirmed with booking.
Salem Foundation Fundraising Dinner – Tickets are going quickly for the November 2nd “Building for Tomorrow” Dinner featuring Marie Monville! Please don’t be disappointed or miss out … anyone who would like tickets should purchase them now! Since tickets went on sale on July 10th, of the 360 tickets available … 313 have been sold. When the remaining 47 tickets are gone … that’s it! Contact Lin at the Salem Home Business Office … tickets are available for purchase Monday– Friday from 9 am till 4 pm (ph: 204-325-4316) until the event is Sold Out. Thank You for your prayers and support for the Residents of Salem Home!!
Eden Health Care Services invites you to the 2017 Dr. Clarence H. Labun Lecture Series titled “Sustaining and Nuturing Safe Communities” on Tuesday, October 3, 2017. Presenters include: Devon Clunis, retired Winnipeg Police Chief, Dr. Marc Teillet, Psychiatrist at Eden, Jordan Friesen from the Canadian Mental Health Association and Paul Isaacs, retired Winnipeg Police chaplain. See edenhealthcare.ca for more information.