February 4, 2018
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are being transformed to live like Jesus”
Service Leader: Vanessa Zacharias
Worship Team: Corey’s Boy Band
Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 12:12-26
Message: “Messy Spirituality”
Ken Warkentine – MC Manitoba Executive Director
Today (4) 9:00am One Way Class – Ken Warkentine
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
7:00pm Youth Large Group Gathering
Mon (5) 7:00am Men’s Prayer & Bible Study
Tues (6) 4:15pm Ministerial meeting
7:00pm Facilities Committee meeting
Wed (7) 6:30pm Missions Committee meeting
Sun (11) 9:00am One Way Class – Amish Presentation
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
Youth Small Group Week
February 23 Work as Worship Retreat (see announcement)
Feb. 25 12:30pm Annual Membership Meeting
SUNDAY MORNINGS AT EMMANUEL
Our Sunday morning begins at 10am with a time of coffee and visiting in the foyer. Please help yourself to coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Our Worship service begins in the sanctuary at 10:15am.
Welcome – We are privileged to have Ken Warkentin at Emmanuel this morning. Ken is the Executive Director for MC Manitoba. He is presenting MCM’s vision and priorities in our One Class and preaching during our worship service. Welcome Ken and thank you for serving in these ways!
ONE WAY – An adult Sunday School class meets at 9am in the multi-purpose room. On February 11, an Amish group from Pennsylvania will be visiting and presenting in our class.
CHILD CARE – for ages 2 and under in the green north east classroom of the fellowship hall. It begins following the offering until the end of the service.
GPS – Emmanuel’s version of Sunday School. It takes place in the fellowship hall after the offering and goes until the end of the service.
- First Look (ages 3-4) is passionate about making sure that preschoolers know THREE truths before Kindergarten: GOD MADE ME, GOD LOVES ME, JESUS WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND FOREVER. This month the title of the series is “Sweet Shop”. Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel Firstlook or follow us on instagram @emmanuelfirstlook
- 252 Kids is designed to provoke discovery and invite kids into a new understanding of how to grow in relationship with Jesus. This month the title of the series is “Rewind” Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel 252basics or follow us on Instagram @emmanuel252basics
YOUTH MINISTRY – Emmanuel Students is a place for both Jr and Sr High students to experience Wonder, Discovery and Passion! Focused around the 3 core values of Integration (believing that students are a huge part of everything that the Church does). Small Groups (growing smaller = tighter relationships) and Passion (Faith has to be lived out with passion, drive and focus) we live to inspire and equip a generation of passionate students to change the world and revive the Church. Today is large group at 7pm! The new series it titled “More Than Friends.” Follow us on Instagram @emmanuelchurchstudents or on twitter @emmanuel_xp3 .
MEN’S PRAYER & BIBLE STUDY – Mondays at 7am in the multi-purpose room
Breakfast Club – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at Winkler Elementary School from 8:15am – 9:15am. Committee members are Lottie Froese, Becky Loewen, Helen Harder and Bev Neufeld.
WE INVITE YOU TO CONSIDER AN EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY TO REFLECT ON HOW FOR CHRISTIANS WORK AND WORSHIP CAN AND SHOULD BE LINKED TO ONE ANOTHER. Please consider registering for a one day “Work As Worship” simulcast on February 23, 2018 for which we will serve as a host church. The “Work As Worship” Retreat is planned by Right Now Media, an organization whose resources our congregation has used for a good number of years. Registration is only $25. Register online at www.workasworshipretreat.org/Registration/?id=315104679
EMMANUEL’S MISSIONS COMMITTEE needs one more member. If you’d be willing to serve on the Missions’ Committee (2 year term; 2018-2019), please contact Walter Fehr (committee chair) or the church office.
BUDGET UPDATE (for operations and capital)
As of January 28, 2018 (8% of the year completed)
2017 Budgeted Amount $469,802.00
Amount Donated in 2018 $ 27,785.30
Percentage Collected 6%
AMOUNT NEEDED TO MEET BUDGET $442,016.70
- CMU’s Face2Face Community in Conversation Series continues on Monday, Feb. 5, 7:00 PM in Marpeck Commons. “The Bible Tells Me so…Doesn’t It? A Conversation with Young Adults on the Tensions of Taking Scripture Seriously”. See cmu.ca/face2face for details and livestreaming options.
- Prospective students (and their parents) – explore CMU through Discover Outtatown Visit Day Friday, Feb. 9. Outtatown is CMU’s unique, one or two-semester discipleship, travel, service and learning program. For information go to cmu.ca/campusvisit.
- CMU presents “Journeying Together: Accompanying the Aging”, a one-day workshop for deacons, caregiving teams, pastors, and Christians working in health care or other caregiving roles. Join John H. Neufeld, Heather Campbell-Enns, Kathleen Rempel Boschman, Charlene Epp, and more as we explore what it means for Christians to journey together with the aging. Mar. 17th, 2018. For more information, and to register, please go to cmu.ca/pastorsworkshops.
- Menno Simons College Events at University of Winnipeg: Panel Discussion on “Refugee Resettlement in Canada: Moving Forward from Lessons of the Past” on Feb 6. at 7:00-9:00 PM, Eckhardt Gramatté Hall; Social Justice Fair, Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 11:00 AM – 2:30 PM, Riddell Hall. For more information see cmu.ca/events.
- Enjoy an exciting evening of vocal and instrumental performances at CMU’s Verna Mae Janzen Music Competition on Feb. 15 at 7:30 PM in the Laudamus Auditorium. Free Admission.
- Canadian Mennonite University invites applications for the full time salaried positions of Financial Analyst, Hosting Coordinator, and Outtatown Site leader. Details can be found at cmu.ca/employment or by contacting email@example.com.
- Camps with Meaning online registration is open! This is our ministry together as Mennonite Church Manitoba. Please visit www.campswithmeaning.org to register for summer camp. We want all families to afford camp. Note our new Campership Fund, which assists families at a much higher level than before.
- Job Opening: Mennonite Church Canada (Wpg. office) invites applications for the position of Executive Assistant to the Executive Director. See http://home.mennonitechurch.ca/jobs for details. Applications are open now and will be considered until a suitable candidate is found. The start date will be arranged with the suitable candidate, as soon as possible.
Mennonite Disaster Service would like to invite to their All-Unit Meeting in Winkler, MB on Feb 9-10. This event is a time of sharing and celebration of the work of MDS the past year. For more information or to register please visit our website, mds.mennonite.net/all-unit-meeting/ or call us at 1-866-261-1274. For those that live near Winkler, please note there is an option to come for only Friday evening, or only Saturday. We would also like to note that Friday evening will include a theatre production by Ted & Company and walk-in’s are welcome for the evening program which begins at 7:00pm.
An MDS Update is posted on the bulletin board.
- Special Event: Wintertreffen – Sunday, February 25, 2 pm, 287 8th Ave NE, Altona. Join us at Altona Mennonite Church for an afternoon of music and sharing about refugee resettlement—in English and opp Plautdietsch—followed by a potluck faspa! For more information visit mccmb.ca/wintertreffen
Ted&Co TheatreWorks is coming to Winnipeg on Sunday, Feb 11th at 6:30 pm at Douglas Mennonite to present “Boots, Buckets & Barrows”. This is Dessert night and Fundraiser put on by Mennonite Disaster Service. Tickets are $10 and can be reserved by calling the MDS Office at 204 261 1274.
DivorceCare and DivorceCare for Kids (DC4K) are faith-based programs that help parents and children struggling with the hurt and pain of divorce and separation, and those on a path of reconciliation. They will begin meeting on Mondays, 7:00 pm, starting Jan. 22 at WMBC (120 Pineview Dr.). Both programs run for 13 weeks; people are welcome to join at any time. For more information or to register, go to www.winklermb.com/events or contact the WMBC office at 325-8322 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Adult & Teen Challenge – Concerned Persons Group – For those who have a loved one with a Life Controlling Issue. Registration – Call Chris @ 204-332-1932 Starts: February 6th @ 7:00 p.m.
Central Station together with Adult & Teen Challenge, is hosting a 10-week Lifeline mentoring group for women. This will be a safe environment of women facing life’s challenges together. The group will run Wednesdays from 1:30-3pm at 545 Industrial Ave in Winkler, starting February 7th. To register call Kris at 204-332-3700. Spread the word!
Winkler Bible Camp’s 2018 Valentine’s Banquet: “I Love Lucy: Returns” a comedy production. This couples only event will be taking place February 9th, 10th and 11th at 6:30pm nightly. A freewill offering will be taken. For more information or to make a reservation please call the camp office at 204-325-9519.
Canadian Mental Health Association (Central) and Central Station are offering 3 mental health workshops dealing with Depression, Anxiety and Recovery starting in February. Please see the poster on the bulletin board or at central.cmha.ca/thrive for more information.
On February 23, 2018 we will hold a Palliative Care fundraising concert at the P.W. Enns Centennial Concert Hall in Winkler, MB. Our special guest is Rosemary Siemens & the Sweet Sound Revival. Tickets are $25(+taxes and fees) available online at http://www.winklerconcerthall.ca/ or by going to Winkler City Hall to purchase in person Monday- Friday 9-5pm.