March 18, 2018
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are being transformed to live like Jesus”
Service Leader: Vanessa Zacharias
Worship Team: Justin & Vanessa Group
Mission Moment: Children’s Camps International
Scripture Reading: Psalm 22:1-8; Psalm 139: 1-12
Message: “Not What We Expected: Surrendered to the
Mystery” Deb Loewen
Today (18) 9:00am One Way Class – “It is Finished” (Video Series)
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
Youth Small Group Week
Mon (19) 7:00am Men’s Prayer & Bible Study
Tues (20) 6:30pm SPA Movie Night (see announcement)
March 23-25 Young Adult Retreat at Camp Assiniboia
Sun (25) 9:00am One Way Class – “It is Finished (Video Series)
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service
March 27 & 28 Stations of the Cross
March 30 10:15am Good Friday Service
SUNDAY MORNINGS AT EMMANUEL
Our Sunday morning begins at 10am with a time of coffee and visiting in the foyer. Please help yourself to coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Our Worship service begins in the sanctuary at 10:15am.
The Sermons Series for Lent is titled “Get Real”: Reflecting on the Psalmist’s Honest Expressions of Lent.
FOCUS STATEMENT: Lent is a season of reflection and preparation before the celebrations of Easter. It is a season for authentic reflection, honest self-examination, sincere repentance, genuine recommitment, and spiritual renewal. We are encouraged to re-explore the paths we choose in life.
What is essential is that we do this with honesty and authenticity. It is not a season for easy answers but rather for honest, and perhaps even challenging, questions and searching. It is a time to “get real” with God and with ourselves and to reflect on our spiritual walk with authenticity.
TODAY’S MEET- Link: http://today.io/1xQXg During the sermon time you can enter the discussion room by entering a “name” (can use initials or another handle if you wish). This enables you to read other comments and to add your own comment(s). Following the sermon, the worship leader or someone else will share two or three comments (or broad themes) from the discussion space with the whole congregation (without using names) and then we’ll have an open discussion where people may want to verbally add some comments.
ONE WAY – An adult Sunday School class that meets at 9am in the multi-purpose room. Next Sunday is video series titled “It is Finished.”
CHILD CARE – for ages 2 and under in the green north east classroom of the fellowship hall. It begins following the offering until the end of the service.
GPS – Emmanuel’s version of Sunday School. It takes place in the fellowship hall after the offering and goes until the end of the service.
- First Look (ages 3-4) is passionate about making sure that preschoolers know THREE truths before Kindergarten: GOD MADE ME, GOD LOVES ME, JESUS WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND FOREVER. This month our theme is called ‘Gone Fishin’ It’s all about discipleship, following Jesus and being fishers of people! Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel Firstlook or follow us on instagram @emmanuelfirstlook
- 252 Kids is designed to provoke discovery and invite kids into a new understanding of how to grow in relationship with Jesus. This month our theme is called ‘Road Trip’ It’s all about patience and trusting the God who is in control. Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel 252basics or follow us on Instagram @emmanuel252basics
YOUTH MINISTRY – Emmanuel Students is a place for both Jr and Sr High students to experience Wonder, Discovery and Passion! Focused around the 3 core values of Integration (believing that students are a huge part of everything that the Church does). Small Groups (growing smaller = tighter relationships) and Passion (Faith has to be lived out with passion, drive and focus) we live to inspire and equip a generation of passionate students to change the world and revive the Church. This week is small group week. This month we’re learning that when life gets hard and things don’t turn out the way we hoped, it’s easy to believe that God is distant and that our story is over, but In fact, Gods always working to bring our stories back to life. Follow us on Instagram @emmanuelchurchstudents or on twitter @emmanuel_xp3 .
SPA MINISTRY – A women’s fellowship group that meets about once a month for a variety of activities. SPA MOVIE NIGHT. We’ll be going to see “I Can Only Imagine” on Tuesday, March 20/18. Meet at the theatre at 6:30. The movie starts at 7:00 but we want to meet early to make sure we get a seat as it’s cheap night and a movie many have been waiting to see. Tickets are $6. After the movie, we’ll head to the SPA room to visit and snack. Feel free to bring a favourite snack. Coffee, tea & water will be provided. See you on Tuesday!
MEN’S PRAYER & BIBLE STUDY – Mondays at 7am in the multi-purpose room
Breakfast Club – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at Winkler Elementary School from 8:15am – 9:15am. Committee members are Lottie Froese, Becky Loewen, Helen Harder and Bev Neufeld.
THANK YOU AND BLESSINGS to Glenn Wiebe and Lori-Anne Dyck’s Care Group who are serving on behalf of Emmanuel at BTHC. Glenn will be sharing the meditation and the Care Group will be singing. May God’s presence touch you as you serve and also minister to patients and staff who attend.
The Facilities Committee is looking for people who may be interested in hosting in our kitchen for rentals and would be willing to take a FOOD HANDLER’S CERTIFICATE course. The expectation would be that you would be willing to host in the kitchen once or twice per year. If you have any questions contact Wil Epp or the church office.
LOOKING FOR YOUNG ARTISTS – One of the realizations that we’ve come to is that many of our children create an abundance of art…whether its drawings, paintings, lego creations or macaroni glued onto paper plates. A lot of this art actually goes unseen by most people and it is our hope that some of these creations can be displayed and appreciated. Thus…Emmanuel Kids, a space in the foyer where each month, two of our young ones get to display their creative sides. We feel that this is a great way for children to contribute to the life of the community and we hope that you encourage their gifts! The artists this month are Blakelee Siemens and Hudson Hildebrand
WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRANSFER YOUR MEMBERSHIP TO EMMANUEL? – We invite regular attenders to consider transferring your membership to Emmanuel. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Pastor John. We are anticipating an April Coffee & Conversation evening to talk about membership and a membership acceptance Sunday in early May.
- Film Screening: Seven Points on Earth Thursday, March 29, 7 PM 159 Henderson Hwy, Winnipeg. Join us at Sam’s Place as MCC Low German Mennonite Services hosts a screening of Royden Loewen and Paul Plett’s film Seven Points on Earth, a documentary about 7 Mennonite farmers around the world.
- Camps with Meaning online registration is open! This is our ministry together as Mennonite Church Manitoba. Please visit www.campswithmeaning.org to register for summer camp. We want all families to afford camp. Note our new Campership Fund, which assists families at a much higher level than before.
- 17th Annual Birding Retreat at Turtle Mountain Bible Camp, May 24-27th (Koinonia is unavailable this spring). Key activities: birding around camp, a visit to Whitewater Lake, and worship times. Choose an early start Thursday evening and spend all-day Friday on a special trip to the Melita/Pierson area. Dennis Fast, well-known birder and photographer and Heidi den Haan, biologist and birder will be leading us in sessions on birding. Brochures and more info to come.
- Faith and Life Choirs Spring Concert: “Send Forth Thy Spirit” on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 7 p.m. at Bethel Mennonite Church in Winnipeg and on Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 3 p.m. at Steinbach Mennonite Church in Steinbach, Manitoba.
- Mennonite Women Manitoba invite you to Resilience Road: struggles, steps and strategies, a day for women. April 28, 9:30-3:00 at the Charleswood Mennonite Church. Resource person; Dr. Moira Somers Ph.D Clinical Neuropsychologist. To register email or call Kathy Giesbrecht firstname.lastname@example.org 204-896-1616 ext; 268 by April 20th. Registration fee; $50.00 ( includes lunch) More information at www.mennochurch.mb.ca Event page.
- CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre presents an evening with Donald Stoesz, Thursday, Mar. 22, 7:00 PM at Marpeck Commons. Stoesz will be launching his new book Canadian Prairie Mennonite Ministers’ Use of Scripture: 1874-1977. Join Stoesz as he presents the findings of his research and the evidence of a “Mennonite canon within the biblical canon.” For more information go to commonword.ca/go/1475.
- On Thursday, Apr. 5, 7:00 PM, plan to attend “Spring at CMU,” an evening of celebration in support of CMU. Featured: CMU PAX Award to Steve Bell; music by Steve Bell and CMU Singers; short reflections from faculty, alumni, and students. Contact Joyce Friesen at email@example.com to reserve a seat or cmu.ca/springatcmu for more information.
- Prospective students and their parents are invited to CMU Open House on Mar. 27. Meet faculty, student council, athletics staff, student life staff, and current students. Attend a class or chapel, enjoy free gelato, and learn about the printing press with students from Spy Tower Press. For more information see cmu.ca/campusvisit.
- Attend one of the upcoming CMU musical events. See cmu.ca/events for information.
- Vespers Service “Preparing for Easter” 18 at 7:00 PM in Laudamus Auditorium
- Bach at the Bridge on Mar. 21
- Bells and Whistles with Strings Attached 25 at 7:00 PM Laudamus Auditorium
- Jazz at CMU and Concert Band 4 at 7:00 PM CMU Chapel (Admission $5)
- Check the CMU website at cmu.ca/events to learn about the following
- Employment Opportunity: Outtatown Site leader
- Want to encounter other cultures? Come hear fascinating stories and experience the diversity at the Canadian School of Peacebuilding. Courses run Jun. 11-15 or 18-22, 2018 and are a great opportunity to experience an inspiring community of people gathered to learn about peace. For more information, go to csop.cmu.ca or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Apply by April 1 to avoid a $50 late fee.
- Online registration is now open for CMU Blazers Summer Sports Camps 2018!
- August 7-9: Junior (grades 4-7) futsal camp
- August 13-17: Youth (grades 8-10) volleyball and basketball camps
- August 20-24: Junior High (grades 6-8) volleyball and basketball camps
For more details visit cmu.ca/sportscamps, phone 204.487.3300, or email email@example.com
Salem Home is looking for volunteers in several areas. Please see the poster on the bulletin board for more information or contact Alana Thiessen (volunteer coordinator) at 204-325-4316 ext. 246 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salem Foundation invites you to enjoy an afternoon of “Faspa, Fellowship and Song” on Sunday, April 15th at the Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church. The Program, featuring the male voice harmony of the WINKLER COMMUNITY MALE CHOIR begins at 3:30 pm in the sanctuary; Faspa will be served from 4:30 to 5:15 pm in the fellowship hall. Proceeds from the freewill offering are for Salem Home Resident Room Blinds – All Care Areas. Your support provides Residents with a positive lived experience … making this chapter of their life journey meaningful!
The new Habitat for Humanity Winkler-Morden Chapter is officially active and working in our community! As a Chapter, we seek to put God’s love into action by bringing our communities together to build affordable housing for families. Through Habitat’s no-down-payment, interest-free mortgages, Habitat home owners achieve the strength, stability and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and their families. For more information about how you can get involved, apply to be a Habitat Family, or to donate, please visit: www.habitat.mb.ca (Chapters — Winkler-Morden) Or send us a note at: email@example.com 362-5026
Winkler Mennonite Church would like to invite you to attend Secret Church, an intense time of Bible study lasting 6+ hours on April 20th, 2018 at 6:00pm. This is not for the uncommitted or faint at heart, but rather for those who desire to know God more deeply through His Word. Cost is $10 which covers a booklet for each individual as well as snacks throughout the evening. For more information and to register please visit wmchurch.ca/secretchurch.ca. Hope to see you there!
All are welcome to a screening of Birth of a Family, a deeply moving NFB documentary concerning the children of Canada’s infamous Sixties Scoop. Betty Anne, Esther, Rosalie and Ben were four of the 20,000 Indigenous children removed from their birth homes and adopted into white families or placed in foster care. These four Dene siblings grew up separately across North America, until in middle age they found each other. Birth of a Family tells their story. Sunday April 8, 7pm at Kenmore Theatre, Morden. (Free)
Providence Spring Concert Saturday, March 24, 2018 | 7:30pm at Grace Mennonite Church, 430-3rd Street, Steinbach, MB. F E A T U R I N G: The Providence Chamber Singers, Music Performance Award Winners, Providence Student Performers. Admission is FREE! Hope to see you there!