April 8, 2018
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are being transformed to live like Jesus”
Service Leader: Linda Wiebe
Worship Team: Fief Schteck
Scripture Reading: Ephesians 2:4-18
Message: “Christ is Our Peace”
Pastor John Klassen
Today (8) 9:00am One Way Class – Video “Reserve 107”
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
Youth Small Group this week
Mon (9) 7:00am Men’s Prayer & Bible Study
6:00pm Missions Committee meeting
Tue (10) 7:00pm Formation Committee meeting
Sun (15) 9:00am One Way Class – The Bunker – Kevin Hildebrand
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service
April 22 Potluck
May 6 Baptism & Membership Transfer
June 8-10 Men’s Fishing Weekend
SUNDAY MORNINGS AT EMMANUEL
Our Sunday morning begins at 10am with a time of coffee and visiting in the foyer. Please help yourself to coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Our Worship service begins in the sanctuary at 10:15am.
FOCUS STATEMENT: Theme: “Give Peace a Chance”
In a world in which peace (between people or between nations) is elusive and often ignored as an option, the theme verse for the April GPS series is most appropriate. “Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding”. (Romans 14:19 NRSV)
Our Easter Sunday service (April 1) is a wonderful launching pad for this series on peace because it was the death and resurrection of Jesus that enabled a path for us to have peace and a restored relationship with God. God made peace with us but then also called us, as His children, to live in peace and to live as peacemakers. The April Sunday themes and texts invite us to consider the way of peace Jesus taught and to “give peace a chance”.
ONE WAY – An adult Sunday School class that meets at 9am in the multi-purpose room. Next Sunday Kevin Hildebrand will be presenting on The Bunker.
CHILD CARE – for ages 2 and under in the green north east classroom of the fellowship hall. It begins following the offering until the end of the service.
GPS – Emmanuel’s version of Sunday School. It takes place in the fellowship hall after the offering and goes until the end of the service.
- First Look (ages 3-4) is passionate about making sure that preschoolers know THREE truths before Kindergarten: GOD MADE ME, GOD LOVES ME, JESUS WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND FOREVER. This month our theme is called ‘Big News.’ Jesus is alive…and we can share that with our friends! !Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel Firstlook or follow us on instagram @emmanuelfirstlook
- 252 Kids is designed to provoke discovery and invite kids into a new understanding of how to grow in relationship with Jesus. This month our theme is called ‘Jump Ball’ It’s all about letting God fight our battles. Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel 252basics or follow us on Instagram @emmanuel252basics
YOUTH MINISTRY – Emmanuel Students is a place for both Jr and Sr High students to experience Wonder, Discovery and Passion! Focused around the 3 core values of Integration (believing that students are a huge part of everything that the Church does). Small Groups (growing smaller = tighter relationships) and Passion (Faith has to be lived out with passion, drive and focus) we live to inspire and equip a generation of passionate students to change the world and revive the Church. This week is small group week. This month our series is called “Stressed Out.” In this series, we’ll discover that with God, it’s possible to live a life defined by freedom rather than stress. Follow us on Instagram @emmanuelchurchstudents or on twitter @emmanuel_xp3 .
SPA MINISTRY – A women’s fellowship group that meets about once a month for a variety of activities.
MEN’S PRAYER & BIBLE STUDY – Mondays at 7am in the multi-purpose room
FACILITIES: Approved the purchase of mats for the foyer and the painting of one GPS room.
MINISTERIAL: Plans are in the works for a Newcomers Lunch at the end of April.
Breakfast Club – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at Winkler Elementary School from 8:15am – 9:15am. Committee members are Lottie Froese, Becky Loewen, Helen Harder and Bev Neufeld.
LOOKING FOR YOUNG ARTISTS – One of the realizations that we’ve come to is that many of our children create an abundance of art…whether its drawings, paintings, lego creations or macaroni glued onto paper plates. A lot of this art actually goes unseen by most people and it is our hope that some of these creations can be displayed and appreciated. Thus…Emmanuel Kids, a space in the foyer where each month, two of our young ones get to display their creative sides. We feel that this is a great way for children to contribute to the life of the community and we hope that you encourage their gifts! The artists this month are Teagan Dyck and Luca de Castro Lima.
- Faith and Life Choirs Spring Concert: “Send Forth Thy Spirit” on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 7 p.m. at Bethel Mennonite Church in Winnipeg and on Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 3 p.m. at Steinbach Mennonite Church in Steinbach, Manitoba.
- Mennonite Women Manitoba invite you to Resilience Road: struggles, steps and strategies, a day for women. April 28, 9:30-3:00 at the Charleswood Mennonite Church. Resource person; Dr. Moira Somers Ph.D Clinical Neuropsychologist. To register email or call Kathy Giesbrecht email@example.com 204-896-1616 ext; 268 by April 20th. Registration fee; $50.00 ( includes lunch) More information at www.mennochurch.mb.ca Event page.
- Special Event: The Bible, justice, and the Palestine-Israel conflict – Wednesday, April 25, 7 pm, 2299 Grant Ave, Winnipeg. Join Canadian Friends of Sabeel and Rev. Dr. Naim Ateek at Marpeck Commons, Canadian Mennonite University for the Manitoba launch of Rev. Ateek’s most recent book addressing theology of land in Palestine and Israel from a non-violent and reconciliatory perspective.
- MCC Manitoba hosts a support group for women who have experienced sexual abuse, 7-9 pm on Tuesdays, May 1 to June 5, 2018. The support group will offer women opportunity to share, find support and healing in a caring faith-based environment. Free of cost with child care provided. For more information and to register by April 17, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-925-1917.
- Youth, plan to attend sixpointeight 2018: Equipping Peacebuilders for an inspirational day of worship, fun, learning, and community! Equip yourself to be a peacebuilder in the way of Jesus with young people from across Manitoba and beyond. Apr. 29, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. See cmu.ca/sixpointeight.
- The CMU Spring Scholarship Contest is open to all high school and post-secondary students who are new to CMU. Three winners will be randomly selected. Winners have the option of selecting one of three prize options. Contest closes July 2, 2018. See cmu.ca/scholarshipcontest.
- All are welcome to upcoming CMU Graduation events:
- Sunday, Apr. 15, 2:00 PM: Outtatown Graduation at the Loewen Athletic Centre.
- Friday, Apr. 20, 7:30 PM: Spring Choral Concert with the CMU Singers, Men’s and Women’s Choruses at the Loewen Athletic Centre.
- Saturday Apr. 21, 2:30 PM: CMU Graduation Service at Portage Avenue Church, 1420 Portage Ave., Winnipeg.
- There will be a Homeschool Open House at CMU at 6:30 PM on Apr. 12 in Marpeck Commons. For more info see cmu.ca/openhouse.
- Check out courses available at CMU this spring and summer, including Justice and Peace – Ecumenical Horizons with Instructor Fernando Enns and War and Divine Violence in the Bible with Instructor Pierre Gilbert. See cmu.ca/timetable.
- Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the full-time salaried position of Program Manager, Outtatown Discipleship School starting Jun. 1, 2018. Inquiries should be directed to email@example.com , 204-594-0532 or firstname.lastname@example.org , 204-487-3300.
All are welcome to a screening of Birth of a Family, a deeply moving NFB documentary concerning the children of Canada’s infamous Sixties Scoop. Betty Anne, Esther, Rosalie and Ben were four of the 20,000 Indigenous children removed from their birth homes and adopted into white families or placed in foster care. These four Dene siblings grew up separately across North America, until in middle age they found each other. Birth of a Family tells their story. Sunday April 8, 7pm at Kenmore Theatre, Morden. (Free)
We invite you to our Dessert Fundraiser for Pembina Counselling Centre on April 12th at 7pm featuring Tyler Pelke. As a teenager from Altona, Tyler was left for dead in a burning house, but God had different plans. The event is being hosted at the Winkler Mennonite Church (Hwy 32). Tickets are $25. For information call the PCC office at 822-6622
An evening of music and stories of hope: Generation Rising presents Christian touring band Double Portion! Featuring the testimony of Pastor Jose from Honduras – who will share how he continues to boldly proclaim God while surviving terrible gang violence. Free admission with a freewill donation. All funds raised will help children in Honduras receive quality Christian education. Friday, April 13th at 7:00pm at the Winkler Mennonite Brethern Church, 120 Pineview Drive.
Fundraising Supper – Sausage, Baked Potato & Dessert Supper on Saturday, April 14th, 2018 from 5:00 to 7:00 pm at the Winkler Mennonite Church 31 Willowdale Cres – Winkler, MB. For more call: 204-325-5446 or 204-325-6446. Freewill Offering. All Proceeds going toward the ministry of Faith Mission. Everyone Welcome!
Salem Foundation invites you to enjoy an afternoon of “Faspa, Fellowship and Song” on Sunday, April 15th at the Winkler Bergthaler Mennonite Church. The Program, featuring the male voice harmony of the WINKLER COMMUNITY MALE CHOIR begins at 3:30 pm in the sanctuary; Faspa will be served from 4:30 to 5:15 pm in the fellowship hall. Proceeds from the freewill offering are for Salem Home Resident Room Blinds – All Care Areas. Your support provides Residents with a positive lived experience … making this chapter of their life journey meaningful!
Winkler Mennonite Church would like to invite you to attend Secret Church, an intense time of Bible study lasting 6+ hours on April 20th, 2018 at 6:00pm. This is not for the uncommitted or faint at heart, but rather for those who desire to know God more deeply through His Word. Cost is $10 which covers a booklet for each individual as well as snacks throughout the evening. For more information and to register please visit wmchurch.ca/secretchurch.ca. Hope to see you there!
You are invited! Providence Graduation Exercises – Saturday, April 21st, 10:00am and Sunday, April 22nd, 2:00pm at Providence, Hanna Centre – Jubilee Auditorium, Otterburne. Speakers: Patrick Franklin (Ph.D McMaster Divinity College) and Jeff Banman (M.A. Providence Theological Seminary).
Marriage / Relationship Enrichment Series titled PREVENTING HEART FAILURE, April 22 – 24, 2018 at Christian Faith Church. Speakers: Sam & Pauline Doerksen. For more info see poster on bulletin board in the foyer.