May 20, 2018
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are being transformed to live like Jesus”
Service Leader: Sharon Klassen
Worship Team: Theresa Klassen / Karen Kuhl
Scripture: Acts 2:1-21
Message: “”So that all can hear the wonders of God in
their own language” Pastor John Klassen
Today (20) 9:00am One Way Class – Video Presentation – MCC’s “Make Peace”
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
Youth Small Group Week
Mon (21) Office Closed (Victoria Day)
7:00am Men’s Prayer & Bible Study
Sun (27) 9:00am One Way Class – Bev Wiebe (Central Station)
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
June 3 Potluck & Membership Meeting
June 8-10 Men’s Fishing Weekend
June 24 Church Picnic
SUNDAY MORNINGS AT EMMANUEL
Our Sunday morning begins at 10am with a time of coffee and visiting in the foyer. Please help yourself to coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Our Worship service begins in the sanctuary at 10:15am.
ONE WAY – An adult Sunday School class that meets at 9am in the multi-purpose room. Next Sunday is a presentation by Bev Wiebe about Central Station.
CHILD CARE – for ages 2 and under in the green north east classroom of the fellowship hall. It begins following the offering until the end of the service.
GPS – Emmanuel’s version of Sunday School. It takes place in the fellowship hall after the offering and goes until the end of the service.
- First Look (ages 3-4) is passionate about making sure that preschoolers know THREE truths before Kindergarten: GOD MADE ME, GOD LOVES ME, JESUS WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND FOREVER. This month our theme is called “Work of Art” Our preschoolers will learn that God has a plan for each of their lives! Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel Firstlook or follow us on instagram @emmanuelfirstlook
- 252 Kids is designed to provoke discovery and invite kids into a new understanding of how to grow in relationship with Jesus. This month our theme is called “Source Code” We’ll learn all about the importance of honesty! Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel 252basics or follow us on Instagram @emmanuel252basics
YOUTH MINISTRY – Emmanuel Students is a place for both Jr and Sr High students to experience Wonder, Discovery and Passion! Focused around the 3 core values of Integration (believing that students are a huge part of everything that the Church does). Small Groups (growing smaller = tighter relationships) and Passion (Faith has to be lived out with passion, drive and focus) we live to inspire and equip a generation of passionate students to change the world and revive the Church. This week is small group week! We’re studying a series called “Inside Out” We’ll learn that what we believe on the inside determines what we do on the outside! Follow us on Instagram @emmanuelchurchstudents or on twitter @emmanuel_xp3.
SPA MINISTRY – A women’s fellowship group that meets about once a month for a variety of activities. SPA would like to participate in a service opportunity in our city where we can help make pizzas at the Winkler Coop and a portion of the sales of these pizzas is donated to Central Station to support the many amazing services they provide. We would need 8-10 people that would be willing to commit to helping with this on May 24th from 6:15 – 8:45ish. After helping I thought it would be nice if we would go for coffee. Please email Darlene Goertzen if you’re interested so I can respond back to the coordinator.
MEN’S PRAYER & BIBLE STUDY – Mondays at 7am in the multi-purpose room
WORSHIP: A planning session was held last week to brainstorm topics
for the next year.
Justin & Vanessa released their report after meeting with
Emmanuel’s worship teams. The worship committee will
use the report to help recognize the best way to support
Breakfast Club – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at Winkler Elementary School from 8:15am – 9:15am. Committee members are Lottie Froese, Becky Loewen, Helen Harder and Bev Neufeld.
GOLDEYES FAITH NIGHT – Saturday, May 26. Tickets are $15. Sign up on the sheet in the foyer and pay Val Harder (mailbox 57) by Tuesday, May 23 to reserve yourself a seat. Goldeyes players will speak about their faith at 5:15pm, and the game starts at 6pm. Should be a fun night at the ball park!
AN EMMANUEL CAMP SUPPORT WEEK – We are looking to put together an Emmanuel team to work at Camp Assiniboia for one week this summer as support staff. We need a camp pastor, camp nurse, and several persons willing to serve as kitchen or maintenance help. If you are interested in considering, please contact Pastor John.
LOOKING FOR YOUNG ARTISTS – One of the realizations that we’ve come to is that many of our children create an abundance of art…whether its drawings, paintings, lego creations or macaroni glued onto paper plates. A lot of this art actually goes unseen by most people and it is our hope that some of these creations can be displayed and appreciated. Thus…Emmanuel Kids, a space in the foyer where each month, two of our young ones get to display their creative sides. We feel that this is a great way for children to contribute to the life of the community and we hope that you encourage their gifts! The artists this month are Masen Rempel and Tianna James.
- Camps with Meaning Fun-a-thon: Carnival and Concert to raise funds for a new shop at Camp Assiniboia. June 10, 3:00pm – 8:00pm at Fort Garry Mennonite Fellowship. Afternoon fun for all ages including: petting zoo, competition seed spitting, games for kids; followed by Coffee and a Concert with great musicians. Visit www.campswithmeaning.org/funathon for more info.
- Calling all Cookie Bakers! At the Fun-A-Thon on June 10th we are hosting the Great Camp Cookie Table! All you need to do is bake 3 doz (or more) of your version of a Great Camp Cookie and drop them off at the MCM office the week before. We will sell them as part of the fundraising efforts at the Fun-A-Thon. Contact Kathy Giesbrecht at the MCM office for the details. email@example.com or 204-896-1616
- Interested in learning more about Mennonite Collegiate Institute? We invite prospective students and families to join us at MCI in Gretna, MB, May 29th at 6pm for dinner, followed by an MCI Information night at 7pm. Information will focus on Faith-based learning, Music program, Athletics and Finances. Please register for dinner by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling the school at (204)327-5891, or feel free to come at 7pm for the Information Night.
- Join us for Mennonite Collegiate Institute’s 4th Annual Golf Classic – Saturday, June 2nd at Oakview Golf Club in Gretna, MB. Registration begins at 10am, Shotgun start at 11am. $100/person. Register today at email@example.com
- On June 3, Mennonite Collegiate Institute in Gretna welcomes you to Saengerfest, with a worship service at 10:30 am followed by lunch and a 2:00 pm concert. Lunch is available by donation. Join the MCI community as we worship and fellowship together!
- SpringFest 2017 – Save the date for MCC’s annual SpringFest held on May 25 and 26 this year. Join us at 134 Plaza Drive for a plant sale, BBQ, quilts and more—proceeds will provide relief kits to families whose lives have been disrupted by conflict and disasters around the world. For more information visit mccmb.ca/SpringFest.
- Grow Hope with us! This spring, we invite you to join us to help end hunger by sponsoring a Grow Hope acre. Because of government matching, every gift grows providing relief to people facing food insecurity, drought and displacement. We’re so grateful for your unprecedented support last year as MCC responded with food supplies in many areas of conflict and disaster. Find out more about Grow Hope and join the movement at mccmb.ca/growhope or call 204-261-6381.
- Cycle Clear Lake – Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC water projects in Lebanon on Saturday, July 7. Registration deadline is June 18. For more information and to register online visit mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
- MCC Manitoba Golf Tournament – July 11, 2018, 10 River Road, Starbuck Join us at Bridges Golf Course for our 16th annual golf tournament in support of MCC’s local work with vulnerable youth. The tournament includes on-course contests, a delicious Mennonite dinner and great prizes. For more information and to register, visit mccmb.ca/golf or call 204-261-6381. Register by June 13 to meet the early bird deadline
- Special Event: Responding to need in DR Congo – Tuesday, May 29, 7:30 pm, 1771 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg Join us at Fort Garry MB Church to hear Bruce Guenther, MCC director of disaster response, and Rick Cober Bauman, MCC Canada executive director, share about MCC’s relief response to the crisis in DR Congo’s Kasai region. RSVP to Elizabeth Kessler by May 25 at 204-261-6381 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CMU Spring Scholarship Contest is open to all high school and post-secondary students who are new to CMU. Three winners will be randomly selected. Winners have the option of selecting one of three prize options. Contest closes July 2, 2018. See cmu.ca/scholarshipcontest.
- Plan to attend the inaugural Canadian Conference on Ecclesiology and Ethnography. Join academics, students, and practitioners in exploring the dynamic relationship between theological reflection and the lived experience of the church. June 6-8 at CMU. For more information see cmu.ca/eandeconference.
- Consider a gap year after high school full of discipleship, adventure, learning, service, travel, and friendship with CMU’s Outtatown discipleship program. Act now while spaces are available for 2018-19! Visit outtatown.com to learn more and apply.
- Golf with a purpose! Sign up for the 17th Annual CMU Golf Classic, Tuesday, June 19 at the Kingswood Golf and Country Club in La Salle, MB. RSVP soon as spaces are limited. Contact Joyce Friesen at email@example.com.
- CMU and CommonWord invite you to the following book launches:
- Unsettling the Word: Biblical Experiments in Decolonization on May 24 with editor Steven Heinrichs and others.
- Hope, Healing and Community: Celebrating 50 Years of Eden Health Care Services on May 29 with author Glen Klassen.
- Conflict Resolution in Asia: Mediation and Other Cultural Models on May 30 with author Stephanie Stobbe.
All launches are at 7:00 PM at Marpeck Commons, 2299 Grant Ave. See cmu.ca/events for more information.
On May 24th at BTHC there is a Plant Sale & BBQ Fundraiser with proceeds going towards flowers for BTHC. Plant Sale: 9:30AM – 4:30PM with BBQ: 11:30AM to 1:30PM.
Ringers’ Reunion Recital – conducted by Karen Kuhl with vocalists, Jayme Giesbrecht, Ray Giesbrecht, and Audrey Dick Sunday, May 27, 3:00 p.m. Emmanuel Mennonite Church, Winkler A 25th Anniversary concert of Brass Angels, Southern Bells, and Emmanuel Handbell Choir.
Gateway Resources Inc. – Open House – Tea & Bake Sale, Thursday – May 31 at 1 to 3:30 p.m. 1582 Pembina Ave. Winkler
It’s Corey Hildebrand on behalf of the Winkler Community Foundation. We are excited to Launch Pay it Forward May and would love to see Churches be intentional about sharing acts of kindness! Please consider changing your Church sign to include a Pay it Forward message and working at ways to inspire your congregations to Pay it Forward in their interactions with others! For more information about Pay It Forward May please feel free to contact myself, or Myra Peters at the Foundation. www.winklercommunityfoundation.com. Also…find us on Facebook! and follow us on Instagram
Segue’s next JUMP class is coming up soon! We are accepting applications and looking forward to starting in June. Participants will have the opportunity to learn a variety of skills to help them find a job as well as what employers look for in potential employees. The 4 week classroom portion is followed by 8 weeks of work experience in the community.
You are invited to the 20th Annual Providence Golf Classic! Tuesday, June 12th, 11:00am, Quarry Oaks Golf Course. Visit http://www.prov.ca/community/providence-golf-classic/ to register. Start the day with a delicious BBQ, bid to win a silent auction prize, spend the afternoon on the course, then finish with an exquisite dinner prepared by the Sodexo professional food services team. Cash games available on the course! Enter to win a North American Flight! The Providence Golf Classic is sure to be a highlight for all!
The Churches of Winkler & District invites you to… COMMUNITY PRAYER & WORSHIP. Praying together for the Spiritual Harvest, May 27th, 7:00p.m, Winkler Grace Church. Everyone is invited.
Come to Winkler Bible Camp for our Annual 55+ Retreat on June 1st – 3rd. It will be a relaxing weekend of worship, good food and sessions that will deepen your faith with guest speaker, Jay Scribner. For more information, or to register, call the camp at 204-325-9519 or visit our website www.winklerbiblecamp.com.
Come on down to Winkler Bible Camp on June 3rd for Family Day! This is an open house event where you can participate in our activities for FREE! Activities will run from 2:00pm – 5:00pm with a FREE Barbeque at 5:30pm. No registration required. For more information, call the camp at 204-325-9519 or visit our website www.winklerbiblecamp.com.