June 17, 2018
Striving to be “an inviting, Christ centred community in which people are being transformed to live like Jesus”
Service Leader: Marvin Lesser
Worship Team: Ensemble
Scripture: John 8: 1-11
Message: “The Closer You Get”
Pastor Corey Hildebrand
Today (17) 9:00am One Way Class – Summer Reading and Year End Windup
10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
Mon (18) 7:00am Men’s Prayer & Bible Study
Tues (19) 6:30pm Worship Committee meeting
Sun (24) 10:00am Coffee & Gathering
10:15am Worship Service, GPS & Child Care
4:30pm Church Picnic @Winkler Bible Camp
SUNDAY MORNINGS AT EMMANUEL
Our Sunday morning begins at 10am with a time of coffee and visiting in the foyer. Please help yourself to coffee, hot chocolate or tea. Our Worship service begins in the sanctuary at 10:15am.
FOCUS STATEMENT: Theme: “Encounters With Jesus”
The gospels are filled with powerful accounts of what happens when someone encounters Jesus. Whether Jesus heals, challenges, affirms, invites or teaches the persons he encounters, their lives are changed! During the summer months we want to look at 14 such encounters, reflecting on the impact on the person who encountered Jesus and the implications of their experience and story for our lives today.
ONE WAY – An adult Sunday School class that meets at 9am in the multi-purpose room. Today was the last class until Fall.
CHILD CARE – for ages 2 and under in the green north east classroom of the fellowship hall. It begins following the offering until the end of the service. Next Sunday will be the last child care for the summer.
GPS – Emmanuel’s version of Sunday School. It takes place in the fellowship hall after the offering and goes until the end of the service. Next Sunday will be the last class for the summer. See you in September!
- First Look (ages 3-4) is passionate about making sure that preschoolers know THREE truths before Kindergarten: GOD MADE ME, GOD LOVES ME, JESUS WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND FOREVER. This month, we’re going to start our ride through the Bikes and Trikes theme as we teach our preschoolers that the Bible tells us which way to go. How wonderful would it be if our preschoolers grew up using the Bible as their compass as they ride through life! Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel Firstlook or follow us on instagram @emmanuelfirstlook
- 252 Kids is designed to provoke discovery and invite kids into a new understanding of how to grow in relationship with Jesus. This month we’re learning that because of what Jesus has done, we can have confidence, in God and in ourselves. And when you put your faith in Jesus, you can live fully alive! Like us on Facebook at Emmanuel 252basics or follow us on Instagram @emmanuel252basics
YOUTH MINISTRY – Emmanuel Students is a place for both Jr and Sr High students to experience Wonder, Discovery and Passion! Focused around the 3 core values of Integration (believing that students are a huge part of everything that the Church does). Small Groups (growing smaller = tighter relationships) and Passion (Faith has to be lived out with passion, drive and focus) we live to inspire and equip a generation of passionate students to change the world and revive the Church. Follow us on Instagram @emmanuelchurchstudents or on twitter @emmanuel_xp3 .
SPA MINISTRY – A women’s fellowship group that meets about once a month for a variety of activities. Stay tuned for more info on upcoming activities.
MEN’S PRAYER & BIBLE STUDY – Mondays at 7am in the multi-purpose room
Breakfast Club – THANK YOU TO ALL OUR DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS WHO SERVED BREAKFAST THIS PAST YEAR! Please consider volunteering for this important ministry. The committee hopes to get started by September. Please contact one of the Committee members (Lottie Froese, Becky Loewen, Helen Harder and Bev Neufeld) if you are interested.
JOIN US ON SUNDAY, JUNE 24TH FOR THE ANNUAL CHURCH PICNIC! We have rented the camp from 4:30-8:00pm. Supper will be served at 5:00pm – please bring a salad or dessert to share as well as a lawn chair. We will supply hamburgers, hot dogs, buns, fries, watermelon, and drinks. Horses and ropes/obstacles will be available from 5:30-7:30pm. There will also be a bocce ball tournament!
BURSARIES – Are you planning on attending a Christian High School, College or University in the Fall? Emmanuel offers bursaries to those that would qualify. Contact the church office for an application form or go to our website. The CMU matching grant application can also be found there.
SALEM DELEGATES NEEDED – The Salem Foundation and Salem Home annual meetings are scheduled for Monday June 25 (at 6:45 pm and 7:30 pm). If you are willing to serve as an Emmanuel delegate, please call or e-mail Connie at the office.
DID YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO A SERVICE YOU MISSED? – Our sermons can be found on the website but if you’d like to listen to the entire service (minus the sharing & prayer portion) you can request that Connie sends you a link. Send your request to: email@example.com
LOOKING FOR YOUNG ARTISTS – One of the realizations that we’ve come to is that many of our children create an abundance of art…whether its drawings, paintings, lego creations or macaroni glued onto paper plates. A lot of this art actually goes unseen by most people and it is our hope that some of these creations can be displayed and appreciated. Thus…Emmanuel Kids, a space in the foyer where each month, two of our young ones get to display their creative sides. We feel that this is a great way for children to contribute to the life of the community and we hope that you encourage their gifts! The artists this month are Caelan Unger and Aidan Martens.
- Building Bridges. Good for us all: UNDRIP and the Church. Join a panel (including 2 MCM pastors) on learning why the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People is good for everyone. June 22, 7:00 PM. Circle of Life Thunderbird House, 715 Main St, Winnipeg. This event is presented by MCM and MC Canada.
- 147: Pathways to Treaty Relations. Treaty 1 was signed 147 years ago at Lower Fort Garry. Come to a learning event designed for folks who are new to what this treaty was really about. June 23, 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM, Lower Fort Garry. MCM is one of the partners presenting this event. For more info: www.treatypathways.com
- Summer is on its way and we are gearing up for camp! The leadership teams have one more prep week before Staff Training Week begins July 1st. We will have close to 80 staff at Camp Assiniboia learning and playing together, getting ready to welcome children and adults with disabilities to our two sites the following week. Thank you for your support of our staffing community! (note: male staff are still needed for July 8-13 and July 19-August 3)
- Volunteers still needed! We are still in need of kitchen and maintenance volunteers at both camps, as well as camp pastors. Please call 895-CAMP or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help out.
- Mennonite Church Canada is seeking an Executive Minister to lead our nationwide church. We invite your prayers for the process and for the person God is calling to this role. The Search Committee would be pleased to receive your suggestions for possible candidates. Inquiries or suggestions may be sent to email@example.com. We are looking to the Lord, and listening to the Spirit as we discern together. [see www.commonword.ca/go/1551 for the job description.]
- Cycle Clear Lake – Calling all cyclists! Come out to Riding Mountain National Park for a beautiful trail ride in support of MCC water projects in Lebanon on Saturday, July 7. Registration deadline is June 18. For more information and to register online visit mccmb.ca/cycleclearlake or phone Reinhold at 204-729-8335.
- MCC Manitoba Golf Tournament – July 11, 2018, 10 River Road, Starbuck Join us at Bridges Golf Course for our 16th annual golf tournament in support of MCC’s local work with vulnerable youth. The tournament includes on-course contests, a delicious Mennonite dinner and great prizes. For more information and to register, visit mccmb.ca/golf or call 204-261-6381. Register by June 13 to meet the early bird deadline
- Putting together a kit for MCC? Our kit contents have changed. See mcccanada.ca/kits or contact your nearest material resources centre, in Winnipeg or Plum Coulee, for kit cards with itemized lists and instructions.
- Rohingya Refugee Crisis Lunch & Learn, Wednesday, June 20, 12-1 pm @159 Henderson Hwy, Winnipeg Join us on World Refugee Day for a lunch and learn event at Sam’s Place, with Drs. Kawser Ahmed and Helal Mohiuddin from Conflict and Resilience Research Institute, Canada. Hear about the Rohingya refugee crisis and discuss the role Canada can play in conflict transformation.
- MCC Canada welcomes applications for Ottawa Office Director based in Ottawa. Applications are accepted until June 27. For more information and to apply, please visit mcccanada.ca/ottawa-office-director
- The CMU Spring Scholarship Contest is open to all high school and post-secondary students who are new to CMU. Three winners will be randomly selected. Winners have the option of selecting one of three prize options. Contest closes July 2, 2018. See cmu.ca/scholarshipcontest.
- Canadian Mennonite University invites inquiries and applications for the half-time (.5 FTE) salaried position of Communications and Marketing Coordinator at CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre, anticipated start date August 2018. Inquiries should be directed to Dianna Robson, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 204-594-0532.
- Please pray for students and teachers who are part of CMU’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding from June 11-15 and 18-22. Over 100 students from Canada and around the globe (including Somalia, Iran, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Nepal…) will be enrolled in one-week peacebuilding courses. In our world’s present political climate their commitment to peace-building is more critical than ever.
- Come golf with Winnipeg Jets alumni Ray Neufeld and Mike Ford at the 17th Annual CMU Golf Classic, Tuesday, June 19 at the Kingswood Golf and Country Club in La Salle, MB. Contact Joyce Friesen at email@example.com by noon on Monday to register.
- Stay connected with CMU’s CommonWord Bookstore and Resource Centre—your one-stop location to buy, borrow, download, consult, and link to Anabaptist and related materials! Bring a friend and this bulletin to receive 25% off coffee or gelato at folio café when you visit! For more information about CommonWord, please visit www.commonword.ca.
Everyone is invited to attend the Salem Home Foundation Annual General Meeting on June 25 @6:45pm and the Salem Home Inc. Annual General Meeting on June 25 @7:30pm.
The Awana ministry at WEMMC is implementing changes to its Awana registration process for the upcoming ministry year. Registration for families who have committed to providing leadership support to the Awana ministry will take place on June 19 & 20 @ 7:00-8:30 p.m. at the WEMMC (600 Southview Drive). For more information about Awana registration, please contact your local church office.
For 30 years the CBC TV program, HYMN SING was heard and watched in living rooms across Canada. A reunion is being organized for August, and as part of that, a concert by the Hymn Sing Alumni Chorus will be presented at Bethel Mennonite Church, 465 Stafford Street, Winnipeg on August 26 at 3:00pm. Tickets are available at McNally Robinson Booksellers.
BETTER FATHERING – An information session on a program that encourages men to be better fathers. Please join us at Central Station, Friday June 15, 2018, 1:00-3:00pm